FUNDING FOR FARMLAND PROTECTION
- Maintain the integrity and full funding levels for the Community Investment Act
- Continue Farmland Preservation and Community Farms Funding as needed
LEGISLATIVE ACTION WE SUPPORT IN 2021
- Amend farmland preservation statute to streamline oversight concerning the purchase of development rights program and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the state’s farmland preservation program.
- Support enabling legislation providing municipalities with an option to establish a limited buyer’s conveyance fee program to fund local environmental and land-use programs, including open space and farmland acquisition and stewardship.
- Support increasing purchase amount for Buy-Protect-Sell from $2 million to $5 million.
- Support personal income tax exemption for individuals who sell their agricultural development rights.
- Support changes to CT DEEP/PURA RFPs for Renewable Energy Proposals that further disincentivize the location of large-scale solar arrays on active prime farmland or core forests. This may include provisions for 2:1 mitigation by restoration, purchase of easements, or other mechanisms that may be considered, especially if located in the same agricultural community and support beginning farmer access and climate adaptation, and Amend the CT Siting Council, Gen. Stat. §16-50j, et seq. to include a representative with background and knowledge of agriculture.
- Support incentives for schools and other public institutions to procure more CT Grown products, including CT Grown Forest products.
- Support updating the Soil Conservation title (Title 22a) to include Soil Health and climate change.